Kim Kardashian vs Jack in The Box
In Food News this week, the most famous person in the world, Kim Kardashian tweeted to Jack in The Box about something she saw at one of their locations. She didn’t want to “fully put them on blast” so she told them to DM her. In response, multiple other fast food outlets used this opportunity to tweet their Jack in The Box takes at her. This included Wendy’s, Burger King, and Hooters. Check out a roundup of the best tweets here
The Victoria and Albert Museum in London took cultures from multiple celebrities to make cheese out of them. This included Chef Heston Blumenthal’s crotch DNA to make actual “Fromunda Cheese.” Currently, these cheese’s are being tested to see if they are edible, but regardless they are on display at the V&A currently.
I told Tom that I think this is the first step into human cloning. When history looks back at where cloning started, they won’t look at Dolly the Lamb, but rather at this exhibit which was meant to show bacteria in a different light.
This July 4th, The third season of Stranger Things is going to be released on Netflix. It was an instant hit full of 80’s Nostalgia, compelling storylines, and great acting. Every season progresses in time and highlights what was going on in then-current events. Last season there were Reagan/Bush and Mondale/Ferraro signs in front of multiple houses. This season, everybody is drinking New Coke.
New Coke was created to be sweeter and smoother, but everybody hated it. The complaints about the new product were like nothing Coca-Cola had ever anticipated. They brought back “Classic” Coke and sold both products together for some time, eventually renaming “New Coke” to “Coke II” but took the product off the shelves silently in 2002.
Coke has teamed up with Stranger Things to bring back New Coke for online sales and in select vending machines and retail stores. This is one of many partnerships that Stranger Things and Netflix have set up for this summer, others include H&M and Baskin Robbins. The director’s twin brothers Matt and Ross Duffer said no money exchanged hands with Coke, but they did get to direct the newest Coca Cola commercial
8 Grilling Tips For The Summer
“I truly believe that 95 Percent of People in the United States don’t know how to grill” – Tom Miale
- Turn on your grill and walk away, if your grill isn’t hot things will stick to your grill
- Make sure your grill is well seasoned use High Temp Pam Spray, if you don’t have that you can put vegetable oil on a paper towel and use your tongs to rub them down
- Don’t keep the temperature on high the entire time. You have to create heat zones on your grill
- Use your meat thermometer and pull your meat off the grill 5 degrees before they hit their ideal temperature. Tent them in foil and let them cook through in about 5 to 10 minutes
- Sear steaks on a hot grill, you want to create a crust on the outside. For chicken, you want to sear them quickly and then move it onto a less hot area to cook through
- When saucing your items, wait until the end when you have about 1 minute left of cooking, brush your bourbon barbecue sauce onto the food and put them back on the high heat
- You can also add sauce right after you take something off the grill. Salsa Verde slathered on top of a steak and then wrapped up in foil. This allows the steak to absorb the Salsa Verde and mix in with it. You can also take dry rubbed chicken wings off the grill and then just do a quick toss in Buffalo or BBQ Sauce
- Clean Up: When you’re done cooking, close the lid and turn the heat all the way up to burn whatever is left on the grates. You can brush it down with a wire brush, and next time you grill you’ll be ready to grease down the grates and start up again!
Mike’s Bonus Tips:
You can only grill as good as your surroundings will allow you to. We all know about Mise En Place, but the Memorial Day Weekend Mis En Place is very different. While grilling you have only 2 options for audio. 1 is Jon Sterling and Suzyn Waldman giving you the Yankees Play by Play, 2 is WCBS.FM The NY Oldies Station. Hopefully, they will be playing “Brandy(You’re A Fine Girl)” by The Looking Glass.
Tom’s Famous Bourbon BBQ Sauce
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cups of bourbon (DO NOT USE EXPENSIVE BOURBON. If you do, I will personally come over and slap you, then take your whiskey. I usually use nothing better than Bulleit)
2 cups of ketchup
3/4 cups of dark molasses
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp of Cholula
hot sauce (less if you want it to be less spicy; none if you just want a sweet sauce)
1/4 cup Worcestershire
pinch of salt (to taste)
Combine the first three ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions start to soften and turn a bit brown.
Add everything else into the pan. Turn up the heat until you see the sauce bubble (keep stirring so it doesn’t burn).
Once it starts to bubble, turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes more, making sure to stir often. I use a silicone spatula to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn. There are a lot of sugary elements in the sauce, so keeping it from burning by constantly stirring is extremely important.
Strain the sauce to remove the chunks.
Slather on everything
Devin Healey talks NJ Restaurants, Hidden Gems, and Taylor Ham vs Pork Roll
Devin Healey of CougEats
stopped by the studio to come and talk to us about his favorite spots in New Jersey. We speak about High-End Fine Dining, to Hyper-Local menus’ where even the Fishing Boat Captain is a jersey guy. Devin tells us all about this “Peanut Potato Leek Soup”. Most importantly though he teaches us about the History of Taylor Ham vs Pork Roll, listen to the segment and get his definitive answer
What We’re Drinking Tonight
Devin: Old Fashion
I think this was the first time I’ve ever had a serious argument with Tom. YOU DON’T MUDDLE THE FRUIT IN AN OLD FASHION
2 oz Bumbu Rum
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Pomegranate Juice
.5 oz Lime Juice
Combine all ingredients and shake, top with Ginger Ale
Mike: Pina Colada
1.5 CupFresh Pineapple
3 oz White Rum
2 oz Coco Lopez
Blend it all and Enjoy!