It’s my favorite of all holidays (with the possible exception of Opening Day). There’s no pressure to buy anyone gifts. No chaotic running around. It’s a day when you concentrate on the important things in life-
Family, Football and Food.
In honor of this holiday, here are my top six things that are awesome about Thanksgiving.
- The official beginning of eggnog season. Which means it’s the beginning of eggnog cocktails, which as everyone knows, are acceptable to drink at any time of the day but taste best in the AM.
- The use of the pumpkin and squash in everything. I love butternut squash soup, pumpkin ravioli, baked squash with some maple syrup, and of course… Pumpkin pie!!!
- Grandpa’s stuffing. I’ve written a whole post about this, so I won’t go in to details here. Suffice it to say that this is, hands down, the best stuffing recipe you’ll ever see. I look forward to eating this this starting the minute my leftovers are gone the previous year.
- Turkey preparations. I LOVE hearing about how different people make their birds. Whether you fry it, bake it, de-bone an roll it, wrap it in bacon, or smoke it, your preparation is always the best.
- Desserts as far as the eye can see. At my family’s Thanksgiving, usually the ratio is 1.25 desserts per person. Completely unnecessary, but it makes for leftovers for a week. (Bonus- that big box of clementines that is always on the table to provide a healthy option)
- And last but not least… Leftovers. From which turkey hash, turkey sandwiches, turkey omelets, turkey tetrazzini are born.
What are some of the things that you love about Thanksgiving? Is there something that you can think of that without it, it’s just not Thanksgiving?