No F**kin’ Ziti: S1 Ep2- Livia’s Mushrooms
by: Mike Miranti
Welcome to No F***in’ Ziti, the world’s first Sopranos Cooking Show where Mike and Tom form the NotaFoodie Show will be combining two of their biggest loves, great food, and amazing television. They will be cooking through all 86 episodes of The Sopranos.
Although it would be fun to eat nothing but antipasti and gabagool, the plan is to go beyond the “red-sauce” and cook a meal inspired by each episode. Expect dishes like Veal Chops, Lobster, and even homemade Sausage.
In Season 1 Episode 2 of The Sopranos “46 Long” Livia(Tony’s Mom) sets her kitchen on fire while she’s frying up some mushrooms. This is the final straw that sends her to the retirement community.
Fried Mushrooms are a rather basic dish that wouldn’t be fun for me to make or for anyone to watch me make, so instead today we’re going to do Stuffed Mushrooms. Stuffed Mushrooms are a great appetizer for a family gathering but are also a meal in themselves because they are stuffed with sausage, cheese, and bread.
What you’ll need
- 18 extra-large White Mushrooms5 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casings
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 5 ounces of Mascarpone Cheese
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano(Freshly Grated or Locatelli’s)
- 2 1/12 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of minced fresh basil leaves
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Destem mushrooms, dice steams and place to the side
- Remove the sausage from its casing and brown in a frying pan for 8 to 10 minutes
- Add scallions, garlic, and mushrooms into the sausage fat, for cor about 5 minutes season with salt and pepper
- Combine the mixture in the bowl with the browned sausage
- Add 5 ounces of Mascarpone cheese to hot mixture and let it melt in. Add panko and pecorino romano
- Place mushroom caps in a shallow bowl or pyrex and toss with marsala wine and 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Stuff Mushrooms until they have a little bit of a crown on top of them
- Place in Pyrex and bake for 1 hour